Test Design Automation: Why It Matters to Your Digital Transformation Plans
Are you tasked to help accelerate your organization’s digital transformation initiatives? If so, consider exploring how you can take advantage of Test Design Automation approaches to help you dramatically reduce manual testing activities, while enabling fast, continuous testing.
Stepping up quality at speed of software-based digital experiences is imperative to the success of any digital transformation initiative. Getting there means speeding up your app delivery capabilities. And one way to crank up that app delivery speed is by harnessing the power of Test Design Automation for continuous testing while improving quality. Here’s why.
Test Design Automation practices and technology help test teams automatically generate reusable test assets like test cases, test data, and test automation scripts right from clearly defined and complete requirements. As a result, QA goes from being a bottleneck in the SDLC to becoming a driver for better and faster app delivery. In the end, continuous testing and app development within the same sprint become a reality.
Why does this matter? Test Design Automation allows you to shift left testing – all the way to the requirements phase, where the majority of software defects are known to stem from. So, imagine the remarkable cutback in test cycles by reducing test script maintenance because now everything is derived from a model. In effect, you can tie everything that’s related to your acceptance criteria, including your user stories and requirements, and get them tested automatically right within the sprint. And if a change occurs during the sprint it won’t derail you because all you have to do is make any change on the model. This allows you to still get those relevant testing artifacts going within the sprint hooked up within your CI pipeline.
Test Design Automation for Agile Testing
Following in the footsteps of agile development principles, agile testing involves baking in quality to the product as they are being defined, designed, and delivered. And so, testing occurs within the sprint, allowing the various stakeholders to collaborate actively with the development team. Ongoing feedback happens, turning into executable specifications that guide coding. Both coding and testing are performed incrementally and iteratively within the sprint, building each feature in accordance with quality standards.
Testing at the speed of agile is the quintessential goal here. This means applying Test Design Automation practices, providing testers with everything they need to test the most functionality possible at speed, within the sprint. These practices include:
- Requirements Engineering focuses on this concept of requirements modeling, where original requirement conveyed on a whiteboard does not get converted into traditional text-based requirements but into diagrams representing requirements as mathematically precise visual flows, reducing requirements ambiguities while supporting better collaboration and communication across key stakeholders.
- Automated Test Generation focuses on ‘automating the automation’ or automatically creating test cases right from your requirements models, and essentially generating every automated test needed to exhaustively test an application
- Test Case Optimization allows you to create the smallest number of test cases for maximum coverage, so, you end up with just the right tests needed to deliver better apps, faster.
CA Agile Requirements Designer 2.8: Test Design Automation Tool at Your Fingertips
CA Agile Requirements Designer provides advanced test design automation capabilities, enabling you to automatically generate the optimal set of tests right from your requirements modeled as complete and unambiguous flowcharts. Automatically updated when requirements change, these tests allow you to deliver high quality software at speed, reflecting changing user needs.
Just released, CA Agile Requirements Designer 2.8 can help boost the efficiency of testing teams with the following new and enhanced capabilities:
- Faster and More Efficient Optimizer – cranking up speed and performance by as much as 60% better, while generating up to 20% smallest set of test cases for the same coverage.
- Central Hub(beta) – boosting collaboration and sharing of content across teams, improving overall team productivity – by providing a centralized repository to store all your flows and test cases.
- Automation Builder – Dynamic Configuration – providing better control to Automation users, allowing them to define the format of their executable automation scripts – ensuring that the tool always generates the output in the format that they had specified. In addition, enhancements to this feature include support for complex languages such as Gherkin.
- New welcome screen – delivering better user experience with easy to reach example files and import actions, allowing you to get started without delay.
- Stronger Selenium Builder Integration – facilitating use of existing CA Application Test Selenium Builder Tests to automatically create models in CA Agile Requirements Designer, generate optimized set of test cases, and export executable Selenium Builder Scripts back to CA Application Test – while helping CA Application Test users to identify weaknesses in existing test suites so they can improve test coverage.
- New Micro Focus ALM Requirements Traceability – facilitating connection of CA Agile Requirements Designer models with Micro Focus ALM requirements, generating ALM test cases and maintaining/updating links to ALM requirements, thus providing visibility into requirements coverage from ALM with no test case maintenance.
These new capabilities further enhance the current broader set of CA Agile Requirements Designer functionality across requirements engineering, test case optimization, test design automation, and agile testing use cases – including the recently released facility to automatically create your initial model for easier, faster adoption and realization of real result and ROI from Model-Based Testing approaches. To see this in action, view this short video.
For more details about CA Agile Requirements Designer 2.8, visit docops.ca.com.
CA offers comprehensive solutions that automates the most difficult testing activities – from requirements engineering through test design automation and optimization. Start your Free Trial of CA Agile Requirements Designer today and fast track your Testing at the speed of agile.
Gedeon Hombrebueno has extensive product marketing and product management experience for enterprise solutions across DevOps, IT Security, and Systems Management. Currently, Gedeon focuses on bringing to market CA’s Continuous Delivery and Testing solutions.